One of the boy's I watch always so down and negative about everything! He is nine years old and just seems so unhappy! The first time we went to the water park a girl came running by and the water came up and splashed his shoulder, it never touched his face. He starts throwing a fit and pouting about it. I ended up telling him that he will just have to get out and sit if he doesn't want to get wet, and next time he just won't come. So instead of 3 rules at the pool we now have 4. The 4th one being no complaining!
Anyway, tomorrow we are going to the zoo. I told him and his little brother about it last week and it was brought up again this morning during craft time, that we would be going tomorrow, they needed to bring their lunch, and we would eat at the zoo. So the other 3 are really excited about going and then there is "w". The phone rings in the middle of all of there questions so I go over to answer it and I hear "W" say the Zoo is stupid and for babies. Ugh! I ask him what his problem is and he says it is just a bunch of stinky animals. I ask him if he has seen the new lions and he says no. Then he says he isn't going to bring a lunch because he isn't going to eat it in the zoo. He is just going to get money from his mom and I can take him to McDonald's or somewhere to eat. So I tell him I am not going to do that and if doesn't want to go we will just tell his mom and he can go somewhere else tomorrow, but the 3 other kids were going to go. That just got him going about how he absolutely hates their other sitter.
Last week he was all excited and then today he is mr. negativity. I am trying to figure out if he is just trying to show off in front of the others or what! It didn't stop there either he gripped at lunch. I told him he was excused from the table until he could come back with a positive attitude and I also said that if I hear him complaining or anything else negative come out of his mouth he will go straight to time out and he will tell his mom all about his behavior today when she picks him up. So after lunch when the other kids are laying down is when he works on his math. They are 10 question tests. He is going in to the 4th grade and struggles with math, so right now he is finishing up the first grade math tests. He normally does 2-3 a day. Today he sits down and gets started a minute later he says he is done so he hits review and wow, who would have thought! He got them all wrong! Can you tell I wasn't shocked? So I knew there was no use in trying today. Now he is laying down on the couch reading a book.
So you might think he is just in crappy mood today, nope, he has a negative attitude every day, today is just little worse than some of the others. But he did just come up to me and tell me he would rather go to the zoo than go to his other sitter's house.
I'm just praying that he shows up in a great mood tomorrow!
Oh the site we use for his math is www.mytestbook.com
1 comment:
I can attest that he is negative about life COMPLETELY!
Have you tried googling for "Attitude chages for kids" or something? I had a negative boy that I babysit one school year - same age as Britt and I had him stop the minute he said something negative and give me 2 things he does like and if he couldn't then he had to sit until he could. (the positive didn't even have to be on the same subject - Brandon's passion was Plane's so I had him tell me 2 GREAT things about planes - it improved his attitude some - but later they discovered - the HARD WAY that he was diabetic and I'm wondering if it had something to do with it)
Post a Comment