It is Friday and it is payday, which I am happy about, but at the same time today is not the best day ever. I don't know how many of you listen to Dr. Laura, but I try to tune in to her while I am at work. This whole Teri Schiavo, thing is getting to me. This woman did nothing to be put in this type of pain. Who deserves to starve to death, hell they don't even starve to death the people on death row. I just hope and pray something happens soon. It is just so sad. Anyway, I liked the way dr. laura opened up her show today (actually lastnight's show that was aired this morning) so I went to her website and I found the opening to her show. Here it is:
I’m Dr. Laura Schlessinger, and I do welcome you folks to this hour of the program. I’m going to start today discussing something very important that you’ve heard discussed almost 24 hours a day for weeks now…. Just have a few more days before my 19 ½year old son leaves for Special Forces training in the Army, and so we’ve been spending as much time together as we can. This morning we took about an hour walk to a breakfast place that is on the beach, close to where we live, and back, with the puppy, all talking, and the issue of Terri Schiavo came up. And my son said … “y’know, I don’t want to be left in that kind of condition if that happens to me, God forbid.” And I said, “Well, you need to make your decision clear on paper. Problem Tracy [sic] Schiavo had is that at 26, who imagines they’re going to have some kind of horrific cardiac event, end up on the floor with nobody around, and have their brain seriously damaged by a lack of oxygen. Who expects that? Then we have to rely on what people close to you say you said. But the problem with Terri is that we can say she has a right to death, I guess. I’m not in the euthanasia camp, you should know that right off the bat—I think every life has value. But what’s the issue of rights when it comes to Terri Schiavo’s situation doesn’t seem to be clarity. There’s no proof that she said she’d want to be terminated. We don’t know what her end-of-life wishes are, and there’s a big argument as to how aware she is. And to my mind, right off the top of my head, when you don’t have clarity as to whether somebody’s here or not, you assume here. Because to assume otherwise is to potentially eliminate a life. …... Evidently, there is evidence (for example, a sworn affidavit registered nurse Carla Sauer Iyer, who worked at the Palm Garden of Largo Convalescent Center in Largo, Florida, while Terri Schiavo was a patient there). She testified that “throughout my time at Palm Gardens, Michael Schiavo was focused on Terri’s death. Michael would say, ‘When is she going to die? Has she died yet? When is that bitch gonna die?’ So, when people ask, what is his motivation for pulling the feeding tube out of her, I don’t know what it is. I honestly don’t know what it is. I have guesses, but they’re not very relevant. I haven’t spoken up about this before, because it’s been in the courts, and I haven’t seen that my rantings would have any value, any power. But I have an intent now. I’m speaking to her husband. The whole point of this opening is for her husband. I’d like to read just an inch of Michelle Malkin’s column today. She writes, “Meanwhile, contradicting the experience of every starved child in Africa and abandoned street animal at your SPCA shelter, the New York Times informs us (quote) ‘experts say ending feeding can lead to a gentle death’” I am horrified that the United States of America is permitting a woman to be starved to death when there is any question at all as to her sentience. The measure of a civilization is how we treat the weak, the dependent, the helpless, and the ill. Now, Christopher Reeve was paralyzed from the neck down. At first, I understand, he wanted to die, ‘cause he didn’t see his life of any value—not to his wife, not to his children, not to himself. And he discovered he was wrong. He could barely turn his head, and he was still there to love his wife, and love his children, and inspire other people facing great challenges, and he involved himself in stimulating research in the area of spinal injuries. His life had no utilitarian value, because he couldn’t move, he brought no happiness to his family? Terri Schiavo’s mother and father have spent 15 years trying to constantly interact with her when the husband would allow it. They want to spend the rest of their lives feeding her, talking to her, playing with her, loving her. Instead, the United States of America is standing by and doing something so cruel, not one of you would support doing that to a mass murderer. We always talk about making sure it’s not cruel and unusual punishment. This is cruel and unusual treatment. It is inhumane, it is barbaric to starve her to death. My opinion is her husband should pick up the phone within five seconds, call this off, put the tube back in, divorce her, let her parents be next of kin—they’re willing to sacrifice their lives, they’re willing to pay the expenses required to maintain her, and I’m sure that all of us would be willing to make some contributions. And if you go on my website at www.drlaura.com, we do link to them now, front and center on my website. Right now, since they’re not in charge of her well-being, the money is not going to her medical treatment, but it would be. Now, I have a living will. My living will says no extraordinary techniques should be used to maintain me. Y’know, it doesn’t say to torture me and starve me to death. This is grotesque, this is barbaric, this is mean, this is cruel. I have my own fantasies. My fantasies are that the husband is going to call up within five minutes, and put the tube back in, and let her go with her parents, and he can get on with his “shack-up” life and illegitimate kids, and the money he said he was going to put all toward her medical treatment and rehabilitation (which, evidently, didn’t go there) but he can get on with his life, they can get on with theirs, and maintaining what they believe is of value in hers. Look at the millions of people who are suddenly aware of these issues and of compassion. Her life has no value? Au contraire. The second thing is, you better never elect me Governor of the state, ‘cause I’ll tell you what I would do if I were Jeb Bush. I would go to my Secret Service, ask which of them agreed with me, and we would go to the hospice, put the tube back in, and surround the hospital, and say “you’re not killing somebody on my watch.” But he’s a law-abiding guy, and he’s not gonna do that. I, on the other hand, would do that. I would put my whole career on the line, if I had the power. I don’t have a Secret Service, I don’t run a state, I can’t do that. I can only beg the people who know Terri Schiavo’s husband to lean on him to let her go to her parents, and he can get on with his life. And he doesn’t have to live the rest of his life and die knowing that he tortured the woman he said he’s supposed to love by starving her to death for two weeks, under the assumption that that’s what she would want, and she feels nothing. I just want to remind you I started out life as a biologist. You can watch an amoeba under the microscope. It meanders its way into noxious chemicals or a pointy object, recoils, and goes some other way, and it doesn’t even have a nervous system, and it doesn’t have a brain. There are those of you out there who are upset when people walk on plants. Please. Everybody who knows Terri Schiavo’s husband, beg him to let her go--to her parents, the people who gave her life and want to sustain it. I’m a mother. All of you out there who are parents must be dying inside. I’m sick. I can’t believe this kind of cruelty can happen to somebody’s kid in America in 2005. I’m humiliated for my country, and my heart aches for the parents. I’m Dr. Laura Schlessinger.
So that is one reason why my day was kind of crappy. I know I could have turned off talk radio, but at the same time I did not want too. I think it is also a bunch of crap about people saying that the republican party is just trying to do this for free publicity. Since when did a woman's life become a publicity stunt? Ugh... The world today.
A second reason of why today is kind of a down day is that is good friday. I just get to thinking about what Jesus was put through and I couldn't imagine going through that and the fact is that he did it for everyone! I think the other reason of why my day is just been blah is because it is the end of this week and this week hasn't exactly been the greatest. I would rather be back in Florida, with everyone again and with out all of the extra stuff.
2 comments:
Sorry to those of you that read this post before the editing. I was on an emotional roller coater yesterday. My day at work wasn't the greatest and I was just angry over some life issues. I am not crazy, I just let my pride and emotions get the best of me. I did not need to write or type what I did. It is not the correct or postive way of handling things, so for those of you that did read the end of the posting before I edited please forgive me and try to forget about it.
Thanks!
It is okay to be human Tasha. All carbon based beings should have days like this- it's okay. Please be good to yourself
Post a Comment